Studio Designer and Project Manager
Studio Echelman is seeking a designer in our Boston-based design practice, which creates projects at the intersection of sculpture, architecture, public art, and urban transformation.
Led by artist Janet Echelman, the design team focuses on the development and creation of large-scale artworks, both permanent and temporary. These living, breathing sculpture environments respond to the forces of nature - wind, water and light - and become inviting focal points for civic life.
Designer will be immersed in a busy studio, working to solve real design problems and find collaborative solutions for large-scale projects. Candidates must have strong conceptual and design skills with 3D modeling ability, and be fully capable of project management.
The position is open to all individuals who are enrolled in or have completed a BArch, MArch, MLA, MDes, DDes, or related design field degree program. Part and full-time positions will be considered. Flexible start date over summer or early fall.
- Engage in the creative/design process of major public art projects
- Develop and oversee timeline for concept generation, design development, fabrication, and execution of major urban projects
- Manage multiple large-scale projects simultaneously
- Collaborate with design team on process and execution
- Design layouts for fabrication using 3D modeling software
- Collaborate with leading international teams of engineers, architects, and landscape architects to develop designs
- Research inspirations and data related to design concepts
- Prepare design proposals, presentations, and renderings according to timelines
- Communicate with clients and collaborators in a professional and articulate manner
- Bachelor's degree required
- Completion or enrollment in BArch, MArch, MLA, MDes, DDes, or related design field degree program preferred
- Background in art, architecture, and/or design required
- 3D modeling software skills required: Sketchup, Rhino, Maya, CADD, or related software
- Proficient in Adobe programs: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign preferred
- Strong writing ability preferred
- Stipend payments require American citizens to have Social Security card, or for non-US citizens, proof of a valid work permit from US Citizenship & Immigration Services.
How To Apply:
Before applying, please familiarize yourself with our work: www.echelman.com Please email cover letter, resume, and design work/portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 04, 2019
Based on prior experience
About this Organization:
Studio Echelman explores the cutting edge of sculpture, public art, and urban transformation. Assembled and led by internationally recognized sculptor Janet Echelman, the design team focuses on the development and creation of large-scale artworks.
The permanent and temporary projects draw inspiration from ancient craft and modern technology. Using materials from woven fiber to atomized mist, the studio creates living, breathing pieces that respond to the forces of nature - wind, water and light.