Educator--Old North Church & Historic Site
The Old North Church & Historic Site is interviewing for educators.
As an educator at Old North Church & Historic Site, you will be part of a close-knit and enthusiastic team committed to providing visitors with an enjoyable, memorable, and interesting experience. Educators will be trained to interpret the Old North Church as well as learning site-wide history. Old North church educators present informational talks to groups of 2 to 200, lead specialized tours, and engage with visitors from around the world. This position offers an opportunity to experience what it is to work at a historic site, whether as your first job in public history or whether you have a lifetime of experience as an educator.
This is a part-time job. Scheduling depends on the needs of the season.
• Providing a warm welcome to our visitors and helping them understand how to navigate and experience the site
• Offering regularly-scheduled talks for groups of 2 to 200
• Leading specialty tours and other in-depth educational experiences.
• Additional opportunities to develop special programming and to write for our history and news blogs.
• Other daily duties, which include (but are not limited to) opening and closing the church, assisting with special events, maintaining a tidy and professional-looking work environment in the church
It is essential that you are available weekends and holidays for the duration of the season.
• Outgoing and engaging personality
• Passionate and enthusiastic about history
• Confident in public speaking and working with visitors of all ages
• Enjoy people and feel at ease with crowd management
• Available to work some weekends, holidays, and special events
• Experience in teaching, theater, or customer-service jobs a plus
• Bilinguality a plus
• Flexible, reliable, and a team-player
• Must be comfortable and able to climb narrow and steep stairs and paths as well as conduct tours in confined spaces
How To Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Interviews are ongoing.
August 15, 2019
$13 per hour
About this Organization:
300 Years. Two Lanterns. One Revolution.
The Old North Church, built in 1723, is famous for the two signal lanterns hung in its steeple at the instruction of Paul Revere. Those two lanterns sparked the American Revolution.
The Old North Church & Historic Site is located in the heart of Boston’s North End and includes the iconic church, the colonial-era Clough House, several gardens and courtyards, and a gift shop. The Old North Foundation manages the site and is responsible for preservation and educational programming. Each year, hundreds of thousands of visitors step into three hundred years of history at Old North while walking the Freedom Trail.