Waltham Fields Community Farm (WFCF) promotes local agriculture and food access through our farming operations and education programs, using practices that are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We encourage healthy relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows.
Waltham Fields Community Farm (incorporated as Community Farms Outreach, Inc.) is a nonprofit agricultural organization focusing on food access and education. We grow vegetables according to organic principles on 15 acres of leased land, with a minimum of 20% of our harvest dedicated to low-income households. WFCF operates a 470-share community supported agriculture (CSA) program, a Learning Garden and educational programs for children and youth. We train farmers, and welcome volunteers, who provide over 2,000 hours of assistance each year. We have 7 year-round staff members and a large seasonal staff. Since our founding in 1995, we have grown from a small volunteer-run effort into a recognized organization serving a variety of critical community needs, including mentorship and resource-sharing for new farms and farmers in the region. In 2019 we will celebrate our 25th Anniversary of Farming and Food Access programs!
WFCF expects applicants to have a strongly developed work ethic, a sense of personal accountability and thoughtfulness, and, a sense of humor about themselves. An ability to keep a positive attitude during the ebbs and flows and various demands on time and energy is an important foundation to bring to this position. If you are naturally motivated to push yourself and motivated by others who are doing the same, then you will love Waltham Fields!
CSA Distribution Description: The Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Distribution Work Shares will be responsible for helping with all aspects of running the CSA. The CSA program at WFCF provides 20 weeks of farm fresh vegetables and Pick-Your-Own crops from early-June through mid-October to about 480 shareholders. Shareholders pick up biweekly or once a week, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, from a market-style layout of produce in our distribution barn, where we also sell a variety of goods for sale from local producers.
Help us make our CSA share program and public sales successful by trading one day of work for a vegetable and flower share.
- Greet customers and answer questions as needed
- Check-in CSA shareholders and provide pick-up and pick-your-own information
- Ability to lift 50lbs. and to do heavy lifting repeatedly throughout each shift as much as needed
- Help re-stock vegetables and added products as necessary, with an emphasis on aesthetics and presentation
- Use cash register to check out customers purchasing additional products
- Put away vegetable bins and crates as necessary during the pickup
- Help maintain a clean and orderly barn environment
- Assist with cleanup before and after and recordkeeping at the end of every pickup
- Conveying a strong, informed understanding of the farm, our products, the organizations involved, farm practices, CSA procedures and other relevant information
- Working closely with supervisors to maintain and create systems to properly rotate and record stock, feature items for sale and create signage as needed
- One summer vegetable share and one flower share from Waltham Fields Community Farm, to be picked up Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday during distribution hours
ONE Work Share shifts available:
- Wednesdays, 1/1:30 - 7pm, June 26 - October 16
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Waltham Fields Community Farm is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, pregnancy or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, marital status, disability, age, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. Waltham Fields Community Farm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. This commitment is evident in all aspects of WFCF's employment practices and policies.