The Office of the Arts (OA) Company Manager facilitates activities by providing integral internal communication and coordination to companies and artists engaged with ArtsEmerson and HowlRound. The position reports to the Senior Manager of Licenses and Contracts, works within the General Management Team in an Essential role, and manages student workers as Company Management Assistants.
Key Job Duties:
- Act as liaison for visiting artists and independently arrange artist housing, international and local travel, schedules, hospitality. Facilitate communication between artists and OA departments, including the fulfillment of contractual obligations regarding housing, travel, tickets, and hospitality. Provide concierge services and act as a resource of information to all artists and guests.
- Provide a first point of contact for artists for varied and non-routine issues arising during residency with OA.
- Arrange hospitality in green rooms and at venues, which requires awareness of cultural differences. Adapt style accordingly.
- Work with Engagement Team,Marketing Team,and Development Team to fulfill engagement, press, and other requests of the artists. Work with OA colleagues and artists to arrange all residency activities by applying considerable resourcefulness and stimulating cooperation amongst colleagues.
- Work with Business Team to ensure adherence of financial contractual terms, to track contract payments, and to manage payments for union agreements.
- Work with Production Team, Guest Experience Team,and Box Office Team to coordinate all artist activity in OA venues and offsite locations.
- Generate artist and consultant contracts.
- Manage operational details for the OA Colonial apartment housing, including keeping an accurate record of inventory of housing contents. Identify the most appropriate option/solution toadjust or improve existing approaches for housing and meeting contractual terms. Procure and recommend competitive pricing options and comparisons for housing, travel and hospitality arrangements. Uses resources to problem solve housing and travel issues and finds solutions that leverage and improve on existing hospitality process and procedures.
- Independently maintain scheduling of the Colonial apartments working with Property Management.
- Manage department requirements within an established budget. Manage and report on expenses within established budgets. Responsible for gathering project expenses from OA team and advising them of standardized rules and procedures for reporting.
- Provides guidance, coaching, and direction to Company Management Assistants.
- Other related duties as assigned.
About this Organization:
The Office of the Arts at Emerson College is home to ArtsEmerson and HowlRound and exists to serve Emerson College students, faculty and staff, the Greater Boston community, and the field of performance practice through the management and stewardship of our world class facilities.
ArtsEmerson is Boston’s leading presenter of contemporary world theatre, and is the professional presenting and producing arm of Emerson College. Performances take place in its two landmark locations: the Cutler Majestic Theatre and the Paramount Center in Boston’s Downtown Theatre District.The organization is committed to building a cultural institution that embraces and reflects the changing demographics of the City of Boston. ArtsEmerson is led by Co-Artistic Directors, David Dower and P. Carl, and Executive Director, David Howse. This shared leadership model reflects the organization’s values — that multiple voices are essential to leading a 21st century arts organization.
HowlRound is an international online theatre commons rooted at Emerson College and includes an online journal, HowlRound TV,and The World Theatre Map. It is a place for artists to provide feedback, learning, expertise, frustration, and vision—in an effort to enliven the fields of theatre and performance to the aspiring and established artist alike.
Based in Boston, Massachusetts, opposite the historic Boston Common and in the heart of the city’s Theatre District, Emerson College educates individuals who will solve problems and change the world through engaged leadership in the liberal arts, communication, and the arts. The College has approximately 3,500 undergraduates and 670 graduate students from across the United States and 50 countries. Supported by state-of-the-art facilities and a renowned faculty, students participate in more than 90 student organizations and performance groups. Emerson is known for its experiential learning programs at Emerson Los Angeles, located in Hollywood, and at its beautifully restored 14th-century castle in the Netherlands.