Part-Time Museum Educator/Assistant
Through a stop on the Underground Railroad, a colonial farm house, and three historic burying grounds, Historic Newton tells the stories of the Newton Community within the context of American history. The Museum Educator & Assistant works as part of an enthusiastic, innovative team of educators committed to learning and sharing knowledge by creating participatory, educational experiences for audiences of all ages.
Join Historic Newton’s education team and tell the stories of the Jackson Homestead and Museum, a documented stop on the Underground Railroad, as well as those of enslaved people who freed themselves from bondage. At the Durant-Kenrick House and Grounds, discuss and debate what freedom meant to 18th century people of European descent, Native people, women, and people of African descent. Lead students on an exploration of their community’s history through Newton’s East Parish Burying Ground using headstones as primary sources.
The Museum Educator/Assistant works both as a Museum Educator, to prepare, present, and develop education programs for groups from a variety of backgrounds, interests, and ages, and as a Museum Assistant, to greet, orient, and assist visitors and callers while maintaining a safe, clean museum environment. We are specifically looking for someone interested and qualified to take over our Storytime at the Museums program for ages 0-3.
An ideal candidate will have…
• Passion for history and interest to share knowledge with others.
• Enthusiasm for expanding personal knowledge.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Confident, flexible, and professional attitude.
• Ability to work both weekend and weekday shifts at the Jackson Homestead and Museum and the Durant-Kenrick House and Grounds.
• Experience and confidence working with people of a variety of ages and backgrounds.
• Experience in teaching (especially in a museum setting) and/or customer service preferred.
• Ability to react positively and follow policy in reaction to unforeseen occurrences and emergencies.
How To Apply:
Apply by October 21, 2019 by sending a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Historic Newton is a public-private partnership between the Newton Historical Society and the City of Newton and an equal opportunity employer.
October 21, 2019
$13/hr (will rise to $14/hr January 2020)
About this Organization:
Historic Newton is dedicated to preserving Newton’s past, connecting it to today, and inspiring our future with exciting exhibitions and public programs.