Art + Culture Assistant
The Somerville Museum is looking for a dynamic, passionate community member to help support the programming and mission of the Museum as we continue to inspire the local community with exhibits and events that promote the history, art and culture of the City of Somerville. The Art + Culture Assistant’s responsibilities would include front desk coverage during Museum hours, promotion of events and exhibits, and support with fundraising and grant writing. This position will work under the Asst. Director and report directly to the Asst. Director as well as the President and Executive Director, as necessary. Hours would be approximately 5-10 hours a week, with 5 hours on Thursday afternoons to cover the Museum’s open hours. Other hours would take place at the Museum or elsewhere. Art + Culture Asst. would also be expected to attend occasional meetings.
Weekly hours not to exceed 15 hours/week. Marketing Support
· Website updates and maintenance (updating posts, calendar, pages, etc.)
· Social media presence to engage the community with local history and cultural events
· Work with graphic designer to ensure continuity and consistency with logos and design materials
· Promote Museum at various marketing events and local community fairs
· Support Asst. Director with mailings both via Mailchimp and snail mail
· Support Asst. Director with newsletter edits and general promotion
· CPA grant applications and materials
· Support fundraising and grant research
· Help treasurer track donations and send out acknowledgement letters
Background in art, art history, history, liberal arts, arts administration or related field. Passion for community and event; familiarity with social media platforms, marketing, photoshop, Microsoft office. Background with previous museums a plus.
October 21, 2019
About this Organization:
As the only membership supported, community-based cultural institution of its kind in Somerville, the Somerville Museum is the City's mirror, playing a central role in preserving the past, reflecting the present, and helping to shape the future of this diverse urban community of 76,000. Through its innovative programming, the Museum seeks to engage audiences in an on-going dialogue with local artists, scholars, and educators with the larger aim of fostering cultural education and understanding.
The Somerville Museum presents exhibitions featuring local visual arts, history and culture in the context of neighborhoods and community, as well as musical and dramatic performance series; develops hands-on history learning projects in collaboration with the Somerville Public School Department; and is available as a meeting place for local historical and cultural organizations.