Old South Meeting House, a museum, historic site, and active meeting place in downtown Boston, seeks an entrepreneurial professional to manage 40+ events each year, including rentals for corporate events and weddings and free public events and programs. The Events Manager also oversees the planning and execution of signature programs such as the annual Boston Tea Party Reenactment.
The Events Manager effectively manages all logistics for internal programming and external clients to create high quality events at OSMH. This includes comprehensive administrative functions and effective coordination with colleagues, contract partners, and vendors to ensure successful execution of all events within the iconic national landmark museum building. This is a high-volume environment where work productivity, process efficiency, and effective communication skills are a must.
The Events Manager will be responsible for all events at Old South Meeting House. Working with colleagues in the education, development, and marketing departments, the Events Manager will have the opportunity to expand the events business as well as build and supervise the event staff necessary to support that growth.
In April, the boards of the Old South Association in Boston (the owner of the Old South Meeting House) and the Bostonian Society (the primary steward of the Old State House) announced their decision to pursue a merger. It would likely occur in January 2020, at which time the Events Manager’s duties would expand to cover events at both sites. This is an extraordinary opportunity to work within one, and then two, national landmark buildings that offer unique event settings on Boston’s Freedom Trail.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits, requiring some evening and weekend hours. The Events Manager will initially report to the Interim Executive Director at Old South Meeting House. Upon the possible creation of a combined organization, the Events Manager would report to a member of the new organization’s senior leadership team.Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with colleagues in the education, development, and marketing departments to support their initiatives and expand the events business, which is an important source of earned income supporting the organization’s mission
- Work with colleagues to set the annual budget for event rental revenue and expenses and be responsible for managing event rental expenses and meeting annual revenue projections
- Process event reservations, deposits, and payments in Blackbaud software
- Plan, develop, and oversee management and maintenance of all event equipment and systems, including audio, visual, and lighting
- Hire, train, and supervise all event staff, including event managers